Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Weddings

I'm at that age, 25, where all of my friends have decided to get married. I don't know if there's something in the water, or if a little spark goes off in the brain that makes a person say, "oh, now it's time to get married." But it's like a virus that everyone I know has caught or will soon catch. I've had conversations lately that go something like this...
"Hi."
"Guess what?"
"What?"
"Amy's engaged!"
"That's great!"
"Yeah, the ring's gorgeous, you gotta see it."
"Cool, listen, let me go, I'm going to give her a call."
"Ok."
"Bye."
"Bye."

And this...
"Hey."
"Hi."
"Okay, so we are trying to plan Amy's shower and Michelle's engagement party for the same weekend in Philly so that people only have to come once instead of twice."
"Oh. Okay that would be better I guess."
"Yeah, so keep the date open and I'll let you know."
"Alright, sounds good."
"K, Bye."
"Bye."

Then this....
"Hi Babe."
"Hey, what's going on?"
"Not much. We are going to go to Vegas for Jen's engagement/bachelorette's party."
"Wow, that should be so much fun."
"Yeah, I can't wait."
"When?"
"Don't have a date yet, but I'm getting on it."
"Oh, okay."
"I'll let you know."
"Cool."
"Alright, gotta go. Talk to you later."
"K, bye."
"Bye."

First of all, can we try to add up all the money that's going to cost. Now, I love my friends and want to see them happy, but I don't MAKE money! Yes, I have a job, but that doesn't mean anything-hear what I'm saying? Also, I majored in English and Journalism, not Math. I can't count that high. So actually we'll just leave the adding to someone else. I'll slowly recover from bankrupcy and my friends will be happy. Ha. I just can't wait to get them all back by getting married myself, which is a double-edged sword because I have no interest at the current time, to get married.
Weddings are an interesting thing though. When there, surrounded by couples, they kind of make you want to be in one (relationships I mean, not the actual wedding). With or without a date, when you're single like I am, it makes you feel a bit behind everyone else. Like I should have a serious boyfriend and I should be on the verge of getting engaged. It's not fair to feel that way, but those are the breaks. And any woman in the same situation would be lying if she said she felt different. But the benefit of going to a wedding single are the men there that are single! You never know, a woman could get lucky!

2 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this site is great..and i'm with you.. lots of money, where is it supposed to come from i don't know? also, i'd rather pay for a DP on a house any day over an elaborate wedding, biggest waste of cash if you ask me. however, presents do rock. xo - m ;)

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you.. uggh i get stressed out just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home