Thursday, July 28, 2005

Between a Rock and a Hard Place:
I don't use this phrase that much, at least I didn't until about a year ago. It's an interesting saying that could mean so many different things. I think that's why it has been around for so long. It could be taken literally. A person got stuck between two rocks, let's say. It could be used metaphorically. A person has to make a hard decision between two things they really want to do. It could be used to denote frustration. A person wants to do something, but can't, so is stuck where they are. It's like drowning, and the only way you can live is if you get to the air tanks 100 feet away, but if you move a shark will eat you. Basically, you're screwed. Pretty bad situation to be in, huh? But it could be said that that situation is like being caught between a rock and a hard place.
I know all about this feeling. It's currently my state of living. We've gotten to know each other well, that phrase and I. We've got an intimate relationship. We fight, we laugh, we fight...we fight. I guess you could call it a love - hate relationship. Not unlike many relationships out there these days. Hillary and Bill, although I'm not sure they have much love in that equation, cats and dogs, the dog loves the chase but hates to get scratched when he actually makes the catch, Bosox and Yankees, I hate the Sox, but I love to watch them play the Yanks. See, we're surrounded by it. It's not always a bad thing. Sometimes it could push us to make much needed changes in our lives. It could help facilitate a decision that was years in the making. It could fuel the adrenaline needed for the Yankees to put the curse back on the Sox. Now that's something I'd like to see. Hey, a little bit of sadism never hurt anyone.
But, I digress. Although, that's just an example of how broad the phrase, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, actually is. Everyone who reads this will most likely have used that phrase sometime or another. Regardless, because it's such a prevalent concept in my life right now, I wanted to give it a bit more thought and share my ideas.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I Live there 24/7.. between a rock and a hard place.. so I know the feeling..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home